NEW: Good for Trump; Bad for Biden

( – Former President Donald Trump is pulling decisively ahead of President Joe Biden in public popularity, according to a new opinion poll, which has registered a marked advantage for the latter over the former less than six months before the 2024 election.

In the new Harvard-Harris survey, former President Donald Trump is currently leading President Joe Biden by six percentage points in a theoretical matchup.

The poll indicates that Trump has secured 49% of the potential vote, compared to Biden’s 43%, while 8% of respondents remain undecided, Newsmax notes in a report.

When those undecided voters were prompted to choose the candidate they were leaning towards, and their preferences were added to the overall results, Trump’s lead expanded to 53%, with Biden at 47%.

This represents a slight shift from April’s figures, which showed Trump leading by a narrower margin of 52% to 48%, as reported by Breitbart.

Further analysis from the survey reveals that with the inclusion of voters who are leaning toward a candidate, Trump has the support of 95% of Republican voters.

In contrast, Biden is backed by 91% of Democrats. Notably, approximately one in ten Democrats expressed support for Trump, while one in twenty Republicans favored Biden.

According to the poll, a majority of 69% have already decided on their choice for the upcoming election, leaving 31% still contemplating their options.

Regarding perceptions of Biden’s cognitive abilities, 46% of participants affirm his mental fitness, while 54% harbor doubts.

Nearly half of the respondents, 49%, believe that Biden’s performance as president is deteriorating.

A significant 55% of those surveyed believe that Trump has committed crimes that should lead to conviction; this same proportion contends that Democrats are exploiting the legal system to target a political adversary.

Half of the voters feel that Trump’s ongoing legal issues preclude him from being a viable presidential candidate.

A substantial majority, 79%, express a desire to see Biden and Trump engage in a debate, with 63% indicating that such debates would yield important information.

Concerns about Biden’s public gaffes appear to be growing, with 63% observing an increase in these incidents.

The survey also touched on the broader implications of questioning a president’s capabilities due to age or cognitive slips. Fifty-nine percent view these inquiries as potentially harmful, whereas 41% dismiss such concerns as exaggerated for political reasons.

The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus two percentage points.

Copyright 2024,